«No Limits» Accessibility Services, which is a structural unit of the International «Integration» Centre for Professional Partnerships, Lviv Polytechnic, has formed a database of students with special educational needs who receive higher education at the University.
The results of the database analysis of students with special educational needs can be summarized as follows:
- The total number of students with special educational needs studying at the first (bachelor) level of higher education at Lviv Polytechnic National University is 278 people, including:
- in the first year of study – 89 people;
- in the second year – 83 people;
- in the third year – 59 people;
- in the fourth year – 47 people;
- over the last 5 years there is a tendency to increase the number of entrants with special educational needs, in general, the number of such students has doubled in 2021 compared to 2018;
- the largest number of students with special educational needs study at the Institute of Computer Science and Information Technologies, their share is 28% of the total number of students with special educational needs;
- among the 2021 entrants with special educational needs, the largest share are students with chronic diseases – 49%, students with musculoskeletal disorders – 35%, hearing impairments – 11% and visually impaired – 5%.
The data obtained by the «No Limits» Accessibility Services as a result of the analysis of the collected information will be taken into account during the implementation of the Strategy for the Development of Inclusive Education and Promotion of Social Inclusion at Lviv Polytechnic National University.
The «No Limits» Accessibility Services is grateful to the Director of the Center for Quality Assurance in Education, Lviv Polytechnic National University, Associate Professor Roman Shuliar, and the Secretary of the Admissions Committee, Professor Mykhailo Honchar, for cooperation and providing the necessary information to form a database of students with special educational needs.
The submitted information was collected and processed until February 24. Today Lviv Polytechnic, like the whole country, is in new conditions, namely in the conditions of war. The «No Limits» Accessibility Services does not stand aside from these events, we are aware of the need for student support, so together with the Veterans Service of Lviv Polytechnic we have planned a training aimed at correcting students’ stress. Details of the training will be posted on the Service’s website.