On December 14, 2022, a scientific and practical seminar on «Computer modeling programs: curricula and modern challenges» organized by the Department of Architectural Constructions, the Institute of Architecture and Design, was held both online and offline in the conference hall of the scientific library of Lviv Polytechnic National University.
Representatives of each of the six Departments of the Institute of Architecture and Design, who are curators of groups of academics, involved in teaching computer modeling disciplines, took part in the seminar. Invited to the seminar also are:
- Mykola Sheremeta, head of the Lviv regional organization of the National Union of Architects of Ukraine, director of the project firm Sheremeta & Partners LLC;
- employees of the Kyiv company Graphisoft Center Ukraine (the official representative of the Graphisoft company in Ukraine), who are engaged in software support of the educational process of higher education institutions of Ukraine;
- practicing architects and designers – representatives of Lviv design bureaus, where students and graduates of the Institute of Architecture and Design work;
- postgraduate students and students of Lviv Polytechnic, as well as a master’s student who is temporarily studying in London, with information about approaches to teaching students computer modeling in foreign universities;
- academics of the Department of Architectural Constructions, who are engaged in real projects with the involvement of students and graduates of IARD.
The participants exchanged experience in teaching computer modeling disciplines, discussed the issues of methodology and current curricula, and specified the problems that graduates may face in project firms. A fourth-year student A. Kobziev presented the students’ vision regarding the current situation and desired changes in this area of the educational process.
During the discussion, the seminar participants stated that the educational disciplines, taught at various Departments of the Institute of Architecture and Design, generally provide the minimum necessary basic level of computer training for architectural students. However, in some aspects this training needs to be improved in accordance with the requirements of the modern labour market. The participants see the solution of the problem in the implementation of the following recommendations.