In 1913 the first Department of Urban Planning in the territory of then existing Poland was created in Lviv Polytechnic, headed by Ignatius Dreksler. In 1920 he published the book “The Great Lviv”, which influenced the development of Lviv during the 20th century.
1936 — Prof., Dr. hab. of architecture Stanislav Filippovsky, Head of the Department of Urban Construction.
1939 — in the structure of the USSR in the Lviv Polytechnic Institute, the Department is headed by prof. Tadee Vrubel, the most famous architect-constructivist of the interwar period of Lviv.
1944-45 — restoration of Lviv Polytechnic Institute and the creation of Engineering and Construction Faculty with one Department of Architecture.
1971 — the restoration of the Architectural Faculty, consisting of four Departments: Architectural Design, Urban Planning, Drawing, Architectural Constructions.
1971 −1982 — the Department of Urban Planning was headed by an Assoc. Professor, Ph. D. Andriy Rudnytskyi.
1978 — teachers of the Department of Urban Planning Iryna Rusanova and Ivan Petryshyn as part of the author’s team were awarded the State Prize of the Cabinet of Ministers of the USSR for the design of new buildings of Lviv Polytechnic.
1982 — 1993 — Assoc. Professor, Ph. D. Bohdan Posatskyi is the head of the Department of Urban Planning.
In 1991, the dean of the Faculty of Advanced Studies of Architects in Lviv Polytechnic Ph. D. Yuriy Kryvoruchko, assoc. professor of the Department of Urban Planning, founded the International School of Church Architecture, which since 1993 was elected an accredited member of the Ukrainian Academy of Architecture.
In 1993, the Department of Urban Planning was headed by an assoc. professor, Ph. D. Yuriy Kryvoruchko.
In 2006, the Head of the Department of Urban Planning Yuriy Kryvoruchko was elected in competition for the post of Chief Architect of Lviv, the head of the Department of Architecture and Urban Development of Lviv City Council, where he had worked until August 2012.
Since 2012, the chair of the department is assigned to the professor, Ph. D. Halyna Petryshyn.
On May 24-25, 2013, an international conference “Creative Urbanism” devoted to centenary of urban planning education was held in Lviv Polytechnic, which gathered scientists from all the leading architectural schools in Ukraine and Poland. The signed cooperation agreements promote academic mobility and professional growth of specialists in the field of architecture and urban development.