The Rebuild Ukraine Hackathon, dedicated to the post-war reconstruction of Ukraine, took place in Ukraine at the end of 2022. The event was organized by Canada’s leading architectural firm WZMH Architects, the Sparkbird research laboratory and UA ITHub with the support of the Embassy of Ukraine in Canada and the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
About 100 students from higher education institutions that train specialists in the field of architecture and IT, in particular IoT (Internet of Things), participated in it. At the initial stage, 20 teams submitted their ideas and future projects for consideration by the jury. Like most wartime events, the hackathon took place online.
After the first round, the best seven participating teams were selected:
- MEVA (Lviv Polytechnic National University);
- VNTUDevs (Vinnytsia National Technical University);
- 4 People (Chernihiv Polytechnic National University);
- Cyberbugs (Mariupol State University (MSU));
- iXTF Team 2023 (Odesa Polytechnic National University);
- Unbroken will (Mariupol State University);
- Metro Band (Lviv Polytechnic National University).
The prize fund in the amount of 5 thousand CAD (about 135 thousand hryvnias) is distributed among the winning teams, but the most significant bonus is the opportunity to receive funding and support for the implementation of their own projects.
The next SHEBuilds UA Hackathon is scheduled for March 5, 2023 to seek ideas specifically from women for rebuilding Ukraine.