The Center for International Projects «Euroeducation», in partnership with the international group of experts IREG Observatory on Academic Ranking and Excellence, presents the fourteenth academic ranking of higher education institutions of Ukraine «Top-200 Ukraine 2021».
Compiling this year’s ranking, experts took into account current trends in higher education in Ukraine and the world, which is undergoing profound changes, in particular due to the impact of the Covid-2019 pandemic. The developments of the Beijing Conference University rankings in the time of uncertainty, 20–21 October 2020 and the Berlin Principles, approved by the participants of the second IREG meeting (Berlin, Germany, 18–20 May 2006), were taken into account.
The ranking is based on the following basic principles.
- Ensuring openness, transparency, objectivity and independence of university rankings. For this purpose, the open data of direct measurements, posted on the web resources of independent national and international organizations and institutions was used. The method of calculating university rankings is available to the public to verify the results.
- Taking into account the comprehensiveness and diversity of university activities. For this purpose, their activities were collectively evaluated by a broader base of indicators comparing to known ranking systems.
- Priority of European integration processes. Based on the importance of European integration processes of higher education in Ukraine, the weights of international indicators of university activities (results in world rankings, participation of universities in Erasmus+ programmes of the European Union, etc.) are set higher than the weights of national indicators.
The first place in the «Top-200 Ukraine 2021» ranking is taken by Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Lviv Polytechnic National University is fourth.
Top 5 Universities
- Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv – sum of indices 3.06;
- National Technical University of Ukraine «Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute» – 4.38;
- V. Karazin Kharkiv National University – 6.93;
- Lviv Polytechnic National University – 6.96;
- Sumy State University – 8.02.
– The world’s leading universities make a lot of efforts to improve their positions in the international rankings, because it gives the opportunity to receive the status of leaders in education. Many countries at the state level have implemented separate programs and directed significant financial resources to improve the university results in international rankings. Lviv Polytechnic wrote this in its Strategic Development Plan. Our goal is to become the best university in Ukraine in international and national rankings. We understand that the achievement of this goal largely depends on external factors related to the action of global trends and development trends in Ukraine. However, we especially need to work on internal factors. We are implementing a system of strategic tasks in the University, we are working on improving the system of evaluating the performance of employees and Departments in general, as well as on encouraging to achieve indicators that are important for the University. Of course, our high position is the result of the work of the whole team, said Liliia Zhuk, Vice-Rector for Education and Strategic Development.